Monday, January 4, 2010

Searching #75: Google and Beyond


Searching with Blindsearch: My first of the three queries in Blindsearch I searched for strong female characters in literature and Yahoo got my vote. My second query in Blindsearch I searched for jobs for teenagers in Houston and Google got my vote. My final query in Blindsearch I searched for the school code for FAFSA for Lonestar college and once again Google got my vote though Bing also had the same webpage listed as its first return Google's looked like this:

How To Apply
http://www.lonestar.edu/financial-aid-steps.htm
Note: The following school code is required for the FAFSA and LSCS financial ... Your financial aid award is valid at any Lone Star College System college.

and Bing's looked like this

How To Apply
http://www.lonestar.edu/financial-aid-steps.htm
Lone Star College System consists of five colleges, including ... If this is your first time completing a FAFSA, start by getting your PIN. Note: The following school code is ...

I would say Google's description of the result was clearer. The first thing listed is the information about the school code. With Bing, you had to read the entire description and the information about the school code was the very last thing in the description.

So Google got my vote 2 out of 3 times and Google is the search engine I use most often. Though it was interesting to see the similarities and difference between the search engines, it will probably not affect the why I search in the future.

Google was the #1 search engine on Hitwise this week. Below are the top ten according to Hitwise this week. The usage statistics do match my personal choice of a favorite for Google as a search engine.

Top Search Engine - Volume
1. www.google.com 71.61%
2. search.yahoo.com 14.76%
3. www.bing.com 9.13%
4. www.ask.com 2.66%
5. www.aolsearch.com 1.04%

Top Search Engines - Visits
1. Google 63.57%
2. Yahoo! Search 10.77%
3. Bing 9.28%
4. Google images 4.17%
5. Ask 2.39%
6. AOL Search 1.00%
7. Yahoo! Image Search 0.50%
8. Dogpile 0.47%
9. Sphere 0.40%
10. Bing Video Search 0.39%

I recently took a webinar called Google's Hidden Libraries which was very informative. So much so I've signed up for More of Google's Hidden Libraries which will be on 1/27. One of the best things about Google's book search is that it uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) which makes the content of the scanned page searchable. Google is so much more than just a search engine. I use it regularly as a calculator, a dictionary, a thesaurus, to check the flight status for arriving and departing U.S. flights, and check movie times.

No comments: