Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring Cleaning #28: Don’t Clutter Up Expensive Cyberspace

When GTD was mentioned as part of iHCPL (first generation) I checked it out and read the book. Some favorite quotes from the book:
"Rule your mind or it will rule you." - Horace

"This constant, unproductive preoccupation with all the things we have to do is the single largest consumer of time and energy." - Kerry Gleason

"your ability to generate power is directly proportional to your ability to relax." - David Allen

"There is one thing we can do, and the happiest people are those who can do it to the limit of their ability. We can be completely present. We can be all here. We can...give all our attention to the opportunity before us." - Mark Van Doren

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." - Michael McGriffy, M.D.

I also read Go Put Your Strengths to Work by Marcus Buckingham. His 6 step discipline for putting your strengths to work are:
1. Bust the Myths
2. Get clear
3. Free your strengths
4. Stop your weaknesses
5. Speak up
6. Build strong habits
No Ah ha moments when reading this book as it all seemed like common sense to me but good to think about nonetheless. You can also go to http://www.simplystrengths.com/ for more information.

I also tried an online calendar however I found it harder to keep in front of me than my regular Franklin planner which I love. There are just too many instances when technology doesn't work and I am unable to access the calendar. For instance when we returned from Christmas in Indiana we came home to a computer with a "fried" motherboard which we are still trying to get fixed and it is March 11th! and another computer with a "fried" hard drive. Luckily it was one of the kids computers so therefore there wasn't anything of real value stored on it that was lost as a result. At work I take my lunch away from all technology to give my eyes a break and read written material instead. So for me I much prefer my Franklin planner to an online calendar.

No comments: