Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Cleaning #29: Email


I have had a personal email account since about 1988 and it's been the same address for the majority of those years. What can I say I'm not necessarily brand loyal but it's too much of a hassle to change.
For my work email account I have created folders for the different tasks I perform and emails I keep (i.e. training, iHCPL, proctoring exams, ILL information). I don't really keep many emails as I almost always do something with an email as soon as I read it. I either act on it, delete it or file it for reference to later. I have found that if you do this at least once a day when you check your email it is easier to keep up with and not so overwhelming. I do the same with my regular mail. I open it and decide if it's something to read and throw away, read and act on, or read and file for later use and I do one of those three things immediately. So generally on a daily basis I don't have a clutter problem. Of course when your routine is altered as in the case of illness or vacation it may take a little more attention to get caught up but not as much as if you don't let it get out of control to begin with.

No comments: