Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Cleaning #30: Take a Load Off Our Drives



Having done the exercises in #30: placing a file on the S: drive and then removing it; attempting to better organize the P: drive and any files I put there; and cleaning up the photos by posting them on Flickr; and finally deleting no longer needed files/pictures on my Z: drive and organizing the remaining files, I can just confirm what I already knew about my obsessive complusive self. I like to have a neat and organized area in which to work. At home I have a routine that I unconsciously follow that keeps my house tidy (I didn't say clean necessarily but tidy). It keeps everyday things from piling up, it doesn't however keep the hardwood floors spotless. But it is vital for me because waking up to a clean empty kitchen counter helps me feel energized and ready to start breakfast and lunch packing for everyone. Also knowing that everything is in its place when I leave for work in the am; dishes are done, laundry put away, dog walked and fed, I am able then to mentally leave it all behind and feel ready to start work. This way I am not revisiting; Did I remember to mail the bill on the counter? Did I send the note to school with my daughter? If you do it the first time instead of setting it aside you save yourself a lot of time and freeing up not only physical space and digital space but also memory space in your own mind.

No comments: