Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sound: #25: Am I a music pirate? It's hard to know...


I mentioned in a previous blog that the selection of music on Overdrive was limited but then I discovered Bohemian Rap CD by Marginal Prophets. So even though you still don't see the top 10 releases don't rule them out altogether.


...and you Star Wars fans (you know who you are) there is Star Wars and Other Sci-Fi Classics


...and who of those who saw Sleeping with the Enemy with Julia Roberts doesn't still get chills when they hear Berlioz's Dream of a Sabbath Night from his "Symphonie Fantastique."


Although there are many titles available to burn to a CD not any of the Magnatune music titles in the HCPL Digital Media Catalog can be burned to CD as stated in the iHCPL blog. The South by Southwest Compilation among others, cannot be burned to a CD. No biggie though.


So,


1. I burned a copy of my chosen songs to a CD. - Piece of cake.


2. The above is my blog post discussing this process. Yes, we still use cds. I have a CD player that you can load 100 CDs into and play all randomly, in order, etc. I've enjoyed this tech tool for years. It is especially nice for parties when you want hours of music without having to reload or replay music.


3. With regards to sharing music online I think music and musicians are better off when there is middle of the road policy when it comes to copyright protections. Open enough to be able to share so you turn others on to your new found favorites but strict enough so that they are financially compensated for their intellectual property.


No comments: