Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sound: #24: The sound of music!

Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Our household currently owns 3 iPods and 1 MP3 player. My husbands iPod is an original first generation iPod which still works beautifully. My daughters each got an iPod mini when they first came out. One was used constantly however the battery didn't last 3 months. The other one which was used less is still working but the battery doesn't last long at all. One iPod mini was replaced with a iPod Nano, the (red) one, which is played relentlessly, in the car, around the house and docked in it's iHome. I opted for an MP3 player for myself which was purchased specifically for use with Overdrive. I have downloaded many eaudiobooks and transferred them to my MP3 player. I have done the same with music. Although the music selection from Overdrive is limited I have enjoyed 21st Century Cinema Classics and Classics at the Movies. I have also uploaded several CDs from my personal collection to my MP3 player, most recently the soundtrack from the film August Rush and the soundtrack from the movie Enchanted.

For the Exercises:

1. Different types of pay sites: I am already familiar with iTunes and my daughters use it solely. I have also purchased songs using Walmart but I have had trouble when trying to play the song later saying I don't have the proper license agreement to go with the song. I suppose its possible it got deleted or the song was moved to a different location on the computer and the license didn't go with the music file but it has happened numerous times so I will never buy another song using Walmart when we've never had any trouble with iTunes. I did go to Amazon and check their price which was .99 cents for one song. I didn't want to download more software to my computer so I didn't purchase a song from Amazon.

2. Download a song to your computer and transfer it to your MP3 player: Done - I am currently listening to The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and The Music of Henry Mancini.

3. See if your favorite radio station offers listening through their website: I checked for three radio stations and all three had listen live online buttons to listen to the radio station through their website but frankly now with my mp3 player I don't listen to the radio in my car now so I don't see myself listening from my computer.

4. Discussion above

No comments: