Sunday, February 10, 2008

31 Days of Oscars!

Okay well I've already missed almost 10 days but had to blog about this anyway as there are still many many good things coming up. Turner Classic Movies is running all Oscar awarding winning movies for the entire month of February. My Tivo will be getting a workout. Some of the ones I'll be watching include: Amistad on 2/17 (Winner of the Best Picture 1997), Ox-Bow Incident on 2/19 (Nominated for Best Picture 1944), In Cold Blood on 2/25 (Nominated for best director, best cinematography, best score and best writing, screenplay), Doctor Zhivago on 2/28 (Winner of best Art Direction, best cinematography, best costume design, best score, and best writing, screenplay, nominated for best picture, director, editing, sound, and supporting actor for Tom Courtenay).

I'll never forget going to see this movie at the Ohio Theater in Columbus Ohio with my mom, dad and sister. I loved the organ which rose up to stage level while being played and then disappeared back below the stage when the performance was ready to begin. I felt very cosmopolitan at age 10 (no I was not 10 in 1965 so it must have been a replaying of the movie at the Ohio Theater and I am not sure what year it was exactly anyway-just guessing I was 10) driving downtown parking in a parking garage and going to the theater, a theater as beautiful as the Ohio Theater. Obviously the architect, Thomas W. Lamb, who designed the Ohio Theatre, got it right as his vision was for “a palace for the average man.”

On 2/28 all day the movies are themed as Wedding movies including Father of the Bride (1950) (Nominated for best actor, best picture and best writing, screenplay)
And finally on 2/30 My Life As A Dog (Nominated for best director and best adapted screenplay 1985)
So what will you all being making sure you catch?

No comments: