Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week 8: #19 Web-based Apps: They're not just for desktops

I tried Google Docs to make a blog entry using their document creator.

I found this webpage http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour5.html in the tour of google docs and read about some of the ways that people are using online applications and only then did I truly understand the value as it applied to my life. In particular I liked the following:

Frank

From Frank, ardent member of Red Sox Nation

I am a Red Sox season ticket holder who moved to St. Louis. Although I can't make it to Fenway more than a few times per year any more, I've kept my season tickets and let my family and friends buy them. Historically I created an Excel spreadsheet and e-mailed it to one person at a time, but it was always a hassle waiting for someone to pick their games before being able to send it on to the next person. I'd get calls from people demanding the spreadsheet, and I'd have to say "you're third in line, be patient". Or people would be miffed that they didn't get the spreadsheet earlier (where are all the Yankee games? Why are all the Saturday games taken? How come you sent it to him before me?). With [Google Docs] the logistics are far simpler, now I can just e-mail everyone and let them pick whatever games are available. And instead of the process dragging out for months, I wouldn't be surprised if this year it takes a week.

Ken

From Ken Leebow, Author: 300 Incredible Things to Do on the Internet book series

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy using [Google Docs]. I'm looking forward to the day when all my applications are online. As an author who does a tremendous amount of research on the Internet, during the day, I am at several different computers. By using [Google Docs], no matter where I am, I have a current copy of my books in process. It has increased my productivity because whenever I have an idea or information to place in the book, I just go to the nearest computer.

In addition to always having a current copy online, I can share the book with my editor. Thus we are always working on one copy and it is always current. Thanks for providing this service.

I also just purchased each of my girls a flash drive for school as they are no longer allowed to use discs. How easy would this be to create a document at school using one of these online services and save it and then be able to access it from the library, from home or a friends' house. I think the school would even benefit from this situation but then I am wondering if the filters at the schools would block these services?

I think this would also be beneficial for our patrons because I have many who have difficulty creating a word document on one of the public computers and then being able to save the document to a disc (and these users don't even know what a flash drive is yet) and before you know it their time on the computer is up as they have waited to long trying to decide wether or not to ask for assistance. These services would be great because their document would be on the internet accessible without any additional hardware (flash drive, disc, etc.) even if the hour flew by without them noticing and they didn't get a chance to print it before their time was up. They don't even have to remember to click save as I see your document is automatically saved periodically while creating it. I look forward to the opportunity to show the right patron one of these services soon.

No comments: