Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Week 6: #13 Tagging makes the web 2.0 world go round

I went to the Harris County Library's Cy-Fair College branch this morning for a great training on using Overdrive to checkout eAudio, Music and Video materials and listen to them on your computer or portable device. The workshop was presented as part of the LIFE: Learning, Inspiration, Fellowship, and Enrichment Program. You can check out their blog for more information. Claire, Tracy and Melissa were wonderful at explaining all the ins and outs of the entire process. It should be noted that they were truly grace under pressure as the technology was working only in so far as they could only show us rather than, as they had intended, letting each workshop participant do it for themselves. They were also able to effectively help those with a very beginning knowledge as well as those users who were more technologically savy. Afterwards I took advantage of their tech knowledge and asked additional questions about mp3 players and a fellow participant (a HCPL employee too, I believe) showed me how to add a site to my del.icio.us account from the library computer which was different than my home computer which has a del.icio.us icon in my toolbar. I was also able to get her opinion on tagging as well. I can't wait to get home and plug in my mp3 player (always love a reason to purchase new technology) and transfer the eAudio books I have checked out. I have had a del.icio.us account for awhile now and can say it has been great because I have access to my favorite websites no matter what computer I am on. My kids can also access my favorites no matter where they are instead of calling me and asking for the web address of that great history homework website.

No comments: