Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Week 4 #8 RSS

Ok, I have checked out the discovery resources for the week abour RSS and newsreaders and I am ready to weigh in. The Bloglines account was easy enough to set up and subscribing to the feeds was also, once I decided which ones to subscribe to. The Using Bloglines tutorial from the discovery resources was somewhat long but worth getting to steps 7-10 for using Bloglines for more than just subscribing to blogs. I particularly like the podcasts and thanks to the the link provided to podcastalley, I was able to find I podcast I used to listen to on a previous computer and lost when I changed to a new computer. The feeds I subscribed to include the iHCPL blogs created by my fellow workers at the Fairbanks branch, a Flickr photo feed for my favorite city in Germany, HCPL Newsletters; Books on the Air, Teen Scene, Teen, HCPL at the movies, Best Sellers Nonfiction, and Children's Picure Books, my three favorite blogs; The Goddess of YA Literature, The Shifted Librarian, and MA Bell's Blog, and my podcast.

That being said now, I have to say I have all this capability on my internet homepage so I'm left to wonder what Bloglines has over what I am already using. I am very happy with what I am already using and I don't think I would change my homepage to Bloglines however I will stick with it and try it out for the duration of the learning experience in order to have a more informed opinion. I suppose if all this was new to someone, Bloglines would be a easy way to get started though. It is always nice to get to know other services in case a patron would have a question about a particular service. You can't exactly say "I don't know I use Yahoo."

No comments: