Monday, October 15, 2007

Week 5: #12 The "Library" Elf will remind you!

I tried to complete this exercise Wednesday evening and most of the day on Thursday however Library Elf was down. So initially like much technology my first experience was frustrating because I couldn't do what I wanted/needed to do when I needed to do it. I had a similar experience on Thursday trying to make a dr's appt and every time I called on Thursday I got the voice mail asking me to leave a message or when I finally did reach a human voice she told me the system was down and I would have to call back later. Thursday afternoon I left the city to work a retreat in Hill country. I was without a cell phone or a computer for the remainder of Thursday, all of Friday and Saturday and much of Sunday. So it was a nice refreshing break from technology. I could just do labor the good old fashioned way, by hand with lots of elbow grease. I even pulled into camp and parked my car for the entire weekend choosing to walk (or run sometimes) all around the campus instead of driving. It was a great weekend though I came home tired. Sunday evening was spent celebrating my daughter's 15th birthday who is very "plugged in" as she got a 1 gig flash drive, several DVD's and a itunes gift card for her ipod. And sadly she was still disappointed as her gifts did not include the newest video game player that she was asking for. The rest of the evening was spent watching one of her DVD's Evan Almighty, a cute movie with many laughs for all three generations in the room.

Then it was up this morning to rejoin the technological world by calling to make yet another dr's appointment for the other daughter who reported to me she has a stye in each eye. Only to call and get the voice mail for almost 2 hours. When I finally reached a human voice I was able to make an appointment. I also called the same dr's office I had tried on Thursday and successfully made that appointment as well. Since I felt that I was on such a technological roll, I'd try and complete my final exercise for week 5 before having to get ready for work. I am signed up for Library Elf and have my HCPL card, both girls HCPL cards and my mother's HCPL card register with Library Elf. I tried our Houston PL cards but they must be expired since that didn't work. I would be nice if Library Elf could tell me if they were in fact expired. But seeing as how I went to the HPL site and tried the card numbers and it wouldn't even tell me if they were expired then I think that's asking a bit much from Library Elf. Once again it will take some time for me to form an opinion but I really like the Check My Cards screen. The format is pleasing to look at and conveniently all on one screen.

No comments: