Thursday, September 10, 2009

Genealogy #67: Genealogy Genesis

I have been researching my family for many years off and on. I had always hoped I'd find a living relative from my father's branch of the family. I have never been able to accomplish this. I know the names of everyone in this picture except the infant yet I still cannot find a living relative from this family. Pictured in this photo from the far left; Grace (my great grandmother) Grace's daughter Marie, Marie's daughter Betty and Betty's daughter Rickey. I am guessing Rickey is holding her daughter but I don't have her name. I don't have a date on this photo but Grace died in 1972 so it's sometime before that. I am a member of ancestry.com and it has been helpful but not sure it's worth the annual fee. I signed up one year I was really into family history and because I didn't cancel it - you guessed it it automatically renewed itself and charged itself to me credit card I used to pay with the first time. Well see if I let that happen again?

Advice for those new to genealogical research? Don't spend alot of money on anything because most legitimate information is nominal. If you find a source of information that you think is too good to be true, it probably is. Start by using the free resources available through your library and ancestry.com is one of those free resources. Also Houston Public Library’s Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research is the first place I would visit. I used to use Family Tree Maker software to organize my information but after the latest computer failure I never reinstalled it on our newest computer and now it's several versions old and I'm just not spending money on hobbies right now. It is helpful to have when you are computing relationships and you have alot of people but if you are just starting out it's not necessary.

Remember: There are only 933 days remaining until Sunday, April 1, 2012! (that's when the 1940 census will be released)

No comments: