Monday, July 20, 2009

Crafts & Hobbies #65: Coin Collecting

My father bought my first proof set. It was a Kennedy Half Dollar from 1965 (a very significant year). He was an avid coin collector. Later when he had two granddaughters he started collections for them as well.

I looked around the Historical Image Library website but didn't find much that I have in my personal collections or in my daughters collections. It seems like the name of the library is miss leading "historical" as I didn't see anything in the library older than 1982. As usual the Red Book was much more helpful and more thorough.

I did use the Professional Numismatists Guild’s dealer search to find a local coin dealer and found several here in Houston. Although tempted to make a visit to a dealer to sell of the coin collection to help pay for college my father's voice rings in my ears everytime I even think about it so I won't be doing that. Coin collecting was always something he enjoyed doing but not for the investment potential so we'll be hanging on to the collections he so lovingly put together for us.

I don't forsee any new hobbies in my immediate future. I don't have enough time to pursue my current hobbies, let alone taking up a new hobby. But I do have the three collections so maybe someday (when I'm retired) I'll pull them out and try and learn more about them and who knows it might just lead to a new hobby.

No comments: