Saturday, October 4, 2008

#44 A Consumer's How To : How To & Make

I looked at the different types of How To sites listed below: I liked all of the sites and have posted my comments about each site as well.

WikkiHow - much like wikipedia

HowStuffWorks - very slick with videos

Instructables - This one is pretty cool especially the How to get a library card clips. We should have one for How To Get a Library Card in Harris County and stress the free part because I get that question all the time, How much does a library card cost? or how much to rent a DVD? etc...

Quamut - A nice site but then again it should be because you have to pay to download or print anything unless of course you like the topics they are willing to give for free, How to Make a Pizza is this weeks freebie. I can't remember the previous weeks freebies but imho they were not topics of importance. How to stop Identity Theft was interesting but I didn't really learn anything new.

The one problem I had with selecting a topic to learn about was that none of the sites had the information I was looking for. Most of the topics covered on all the sites seemed trival to me, i.e. Soda Can Hinge Wallet Chain, How To Flirt Using British Sign Language not really important to me. They are not all that trival as there is How to Make Salsa which I can see someone viewing that how to and then doing it. But how about How to Write a Commencement Address? I don't know about you but I've never been asked to write a commencement address and those that are asked to do such a thing are probably, hopefully not consulting Expert Village on how to do so, though I mean nothing against the expert, John Graden, an internationally acclaimed speaker, author and pioneering entrepreneur. Someday I might find myself looking for some information on one of these sites but as of now I wouldn't count on the information being there.

No comments: