Thursday, October 9, 2008

#45: Making a Video: An Overview

The Flip - if it works as good as it looks I'd buy one, it's cute! They offer a $15.00 discount to educational institutions, their faculty and staff too!

Following the format of the iHCPL module I went to consumer reports website to see what they had to say about The Flip and here is their Bottom Line - "The Pure Digital Flip Video F160B is a simple-to-use, pocket-size digital video camera that's appropriate for “quick and dirty” video recording--to create videos to share over the Internet or in other situations where video quality doesn’t matter much. But you'll pay about $150 for the convenience of Flip Video's sub-par, low-fidelity videos." I will mention here that I think if you want to read Consumer Reports reviews for any products rather than going to http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm I would recommend going to hcpl.net clicking on the database tab, choosing Magazine & Journals from the By Subject listing and choosing EBSCOhost. You can limit your search to Consumer Reports and get the actual information as printed in the magazine with no annoying ads to subscribe to the magazine.

I already own a digital camera that will take still shots as well as videos and I am very pleased with it. It is a Sony Cybershot. We also have a digital camcorder but we don't use it nearly as often as we used to as the girls are older.

I use Windows MovieMaker frequently. I have made several graduation movies for friends and nieces and will get to make one for my own daughter this year. I also made a friend a Family History movie which I must say turned out very nicely. Those were all pretty big undertakings because it involved pulling photos from the previous 18 years in the case of the graduation videos and more than 50 years in the case of the family histoy video, scanning them in and then putting the movie together. Now I do shorter movies of just one or two events, i.e. see my movie of my daughter touring Indiana University that I made after she got her acceptance letter.

I tried Animoto as part of iHCPL a Learning Experienece and made a little music video. I prefer to have the capability on my computer so I can burn to a DVD.

I will try out Jumpcut but again prefer something on my computer like Windows Movie Maker because I feel more ownership of the final product when it is on my computer and I can burn to a DVD.

No comments: