Thursday, May 22, 2008

Games and Gaming #37: Get Your Game On @ The Library

I read the New York Times Article, Taking Play Seriously at the Public Library With Young Video Gamers Choose as well as being a regular reader of the Shifted Librarians' blog with a great deal of information about gaming in libraries.

Played I'll Get It on the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries website and once again I can only say I find almost any kind of game addicting and therefore could easily spend LOTS of time playing them. The game was pretty fast paced and determining what the patron wanted a book or an online resource as difficult. If I had more time I could probably figure it out but there's only so much time in the day and one must prioritize.

My thoughts on gaming in the library, how you think it will evolve and whether or not games belong in the library: I have held Guitar Hero and DanceDance Revolution events at our branch library. While I would say the events were successful, I am not certain we are responding to the needs of our kids/teens or if we are just out there trying to do what we think kids/teens want us to do. These events are fun, everyone likes the snacks and drinks that accompany the event. I love music even if accompanied by a "ting" or "tang" here and there or worse "FAILED" but I never give up. Of course the kids are much better at it than I. However what I think is central to the question is whether or not gaming (or you may fill that in with whatever new idea you like) helps us fulfill our mission which states: "Harris County Public Library provides information and resources to enrich lives and strengthen communities through innovative services within and beyond our walls." I feel that depending on your community, gaming just might help you fulfill this mission as long as you are not foregoing other programs in order to provide gaming programs. Financial considerations should also be kept in mind because I know as a consumer it is hard to stay up with the current games and game consoles and it can be an expensive proposition keeping my girls current let alone an entire branch library's patrons. Timing is also important because "what's hot" changes day to day and our programming, gaming or otherwise, needs to be reflective of these changes.

No comments: