Thursday, May 1, 2008

Games and Gaming #35: Games? In the Library?

I love playing FreeRice! It is addicting but that's the problem all the games for me are addicting and I end up spending HOURS playing them, hours I don't have. I checked out WordSplay and found that I could quickly be addicted to this games as well. Suduko is a game I am relatively familiar with as my husband took a book of suduko on the airplane on our trip to Germany. He spent almost the entire 9 hours flight playing Suduko, so there are times when the amount of time one can spend on an activity is a good thing but those times are few and far between for me. I've only been on a 9 hour flight twice in my lifetime. Looks to me like the advantage to playing Suduko online is there is no erasing!

Exercises:
1) The 15 minute requirement for this exercise was a joke. I tried to limit myself to 15 minutes but I just couldn't stop after 15 minutes. I spent more like 15 minutes per game, on FreeRice, WordSplay, and online Sudoku. However I see myself going back to some of these sites in the foreseeable future.

2) The benefits of FreeRice and WordSplay would be an incresed vocabulary. When you play WordSplay and the game is complete the results for all those playing appears in the upper right hand side of the screen and you can see all the words that you didn't (or did) get. All the games were easy to learn to play. The timed games help you build your speed, both thinking and typing. The benefits of gaming in general IMO, include educational benefits, improved coordination skills, and the increased use of one's imagination. Role playing games especially, by nature requires interaction with other people, whether it is in person or online. I am going to checkout Runescape though I don't normally go for the role playing games just so I will have a better idea for how its played in case any of our teen patrons participate in the activity this summer.

Another word game I like to play on the computer is TextTwist.

No comments: