Saturday, September 8, 2007

Almost 1/2ed the size of the herd in less than 24 hours



A very sad beginning to rabbit raising.... I got off of work today at 5:00 and called home to say I was on my way home to find out one of our Champagne D'Argent's died. Shelby wasn't home and Danielle and Tracy didn't really know what had happened to the poor bunny. When I got home to check on the others I didn't think the remaining Champagne looked ok so I took her inside and checked my library books for instructions on handling heatstroke as well as calling a vet and Mr. Alexander. We worked at cooling her down and thought things were going to be ok and sent Shelby and Danielle after a cage we could use indoors. Shortly after the girls left she died also. So our 5 rabbits are down to 3. The 3 Californians seem to be fine but possibly because they are white the heat didn't have as pronounced an effect as it did on the Champagne's. Off to have a drink in their memory....

No comments: