Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Web According to Google #86: Calendar and Documents

I have a personal Google Calendar but I don't use it often. I still prefer the paper calendar for my personal life. We have a Google calendar that we use at our branch library and it is essential. The reason it is so valuable is because it is collaborative. Everyone can post their events to it and everyone can see them.

We also use Google Docs at our branch for scheduling purposes. Again the biggest advantage to this is the ability for many users to make changes to the same document. Just so I would have a little more experience with creating and sharing documents (rather than just using documents that already existed as I do at work) I decided to create a few and see if the choir booster club I am involved with might be interested in working with volunteer lists and other documents in this manner. I think it will be easier than emailing documents back and forth and wondering which one is the most up-to-date. I don't know how computer/internet savvy the rest of the board members are but hopefully with a little convincing and instruction I can get them using a tool they have never used before.

No comments: