Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Publishing Evolution #84: Writer Communities & Author Websites

I have never personally contacted an author because I read something they wrote and felt the need to communicate with them. I have been to many author speaking engagements which I enjoy very much. I've heard Chris Crutcher, author or many books for young adults, Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Series, Richard Louv, author of Last child in The Woods, Mem Fox, author of many children's books as well as books for parents and teachers, Jim Trelease, reading advocate and author of The Read Aloud Handbook, Ken Burns, although really a director and producer of documentary films he usually has companion books to go along with these films which he has autographed for me, Jarrett Krosoczka, author or many children's books, and Chris Van Allsburg just to name a few. Almost everytime I read a book, especially one for a book club I'll visit the author's or book's website to get more information for discussion. All this being said if an author did not make all this information so readily available it would not in any way take away from my enjoyment of a book especially with regards to a work of fiction. It is nice to have additional information about the non-fiction titles I read and this is usually the easiest way to start a search for such information, by going to the authors website, but again not a deal breaker if they don't have a website.
I could never narrow all the authors down to a favorite but I looked up many of my favorites and they all have websites and/or blogs. One Texas author I contacted once for a fundraiser my daughter's school was having for the choir was Cynithia Leitich-Smith. I decided to purchase books and then get the authors to sign them and use these as items for the silent auction. It was a big hit. The book that brought in the most money was Ken Burns' The War. Cynithia Leitich-Smith however not only autographed the copy of her book Tantalize but she sent us T-shirts, bookmarks, little stuffed animal bats, the works!

The idea of a book being published based on popular vote wouldn't help me to make a decision about a material. Isn't the New York Times Best Sellers' list essentially a popular vote? I don't always enjoy the books on their list. I read reviews particularly of those who have reviewed stuff I've liked in the past, look at award winning books, talk to other readers who I know enjoy the same kinds of books I do, all these play a part in making my determination.

No comments: