Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wellness #39: Nutrition

On this subject, I would recommend the following titles:














Just a few ideas to clear up -

If it has Miracle in the title, don't bother
If it says Permanent results, don't believe it
If it says Simple, don't kid yourself



Did you know free-range eggs have 7 times more beta-carotene than regular eggs. Nutrition Data is packed with useful and surprising information about the food you eat. This may be true but I can tell you if I ate based on the Daily Needs Calculator from this website I would rapidly gain weight. I typed in my information and the site responsed with my daily caloric needs. I do believe the information about free-range eggs, I do not believe I need as many calories as the site suggests.


2) I entered a favorite lunch recipe into Recipes.Sparkpeople.com. Here is the recipe with its nutrition facts:

Turkey on Wasa Rye Crisps
Turkey breast meat, 2 slices
*Wasa Fiber Rye Crispbread 1 slice, 2 serving
Mayonnaise, regular, 1 tbsp
Swiss Cheese, 1 slice (1 oz)
Basil, 5 leaves


Nutrition Facts
Turkey on Wasa Rye Crisps Serving Size: 1 serving Amount per serving:
Calories 278.8
Total Fat 13.4 g
Saturated Fat 6.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 48.2 mg
Sodium 709.7 mg
Potassium 172.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 17.5 g
Vitamin A 8.4 %
Vitamin B-12 22.8 %
Vitamin B-6 9.1 %
Vitamin C 4.8 %
Vitamin D 3.1 %
Vitamin E 3.9 %
Calcium 28.2 %
Copper 2.0 %
Folate 1.5 %
Iron 12.3 %
Magnesium 5.3 %
Manganese 2.4 %
Niacin 0.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 4.1 %
Phosphorus 27.4 %
Riboflavin 14.4 %
Selenium 24.2 %
Thiamin 4.3 %
Zinc 10.9 %


This recipe is not high in calories, but you could experiment with this recipe by substituting the brand of cracker you'd like to put it on or the variety of Wasa cracker you'd like to put it on.

No comments: