Thursday, February 5, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: #52 What to Read


1. I first chose Geraldine Brooks author of People of the Book because I enjoyed that book so much. However when I performed the search on Novelist Plus it offered no Author Read-Alikes. Next I tried Kate Jacobs and it returned one Author Read-Alike for Jennifer Chiaverini. Next I tried searching Library Booklists and Bibliographies for both Geraldine Brooks and Kate Jacobs and received no hits. I also tried Fiction_L Booklists but there were no lists for Kate Jacobs or Gerladine Brooks. On What Should I Read Next? I received the following suggestions for Read-Alikes for Kate Jacobs.

Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner - Lisa Wingate
The Hakawati - Rabih Alameddine
Flames of Rome, The: A Novel
RUN WITH THE HORSEMAN - Ferrol Sams
Table For Five - Susan Wiggs
The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society: A Novel - Beth Pattillo
Summer Blowout - Claire Cook
A Case of Bad Taste - Lori Copeland
Island of Lost Girls: A Novel - Jennifer Mcmahon
Off Season - Anne Rivers Siddons

It seems most of the sites are helpful if you read people like Nicholas Sparks, Janet Evanovich and Dan Brown but less helpful for authors like Kate Jacobs author of three books and Geraldine Brooks author of five books.

2. Using NoveList Plus I found the following two books for my fourth grade female patron: The underneath by Kathi Appelt and illustrated by David Small
A dog's life: the autobiography of a stray by Ann M. Martin
and for her 13 year old brother:
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
The Seer of Shadows by Avi

3. Using What Should I Read Next? You have to type in a book and the author and depending on the Dean Koontz book you choose you get a different listing of suggestions which included; Bernhard Schlink's The Reader, Sara Gruen's Flying Changes , and Seldom Disappointed: A Memoir by Tony Hillerman. Using Library Booklists and Bibliographies lead me to Wake County Plublic Library's page If You Like Dean Koontz ... where I found 11 suggestions including these three authors; Greg Bear, Bentley Little and John Saul.

4. Using Mid-Continent Public Library's Juvenile Series and Sequels webpage I found the following information for my patron who wants to read Alanna: the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce and the other books in the series in order.
Series : Song of the Lioness
Book Title
1 Alanna: The First Adventure
2 In the Hand of the Goddess
3 Woman Who Rides Like a Man, The
4 Lioness Rampant

No comments: