Monday, April 21, 2008

Maps #32: Current Events

ACTIVITY 1:
Some of my favorite activities on 100 Things To Do With Google Maps were #21 Drive like a madman (those of you who know me, know that I don't need a google maps mashup to do this), #85 Fly a Plane, and #1 Find a world brewery.
The question I get all the time is how to get to another branch of HCPL which of course is best answered with a visual, the map! "I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map", says the map in Dora the Explorer. I have copies of maps and directions on hand to the branches to which we are frequently asked for directions. A hypothetical question might be, "I have someone I'd like to throw off the nearest cliff, where can I take them?" Answer can be found at Earthtools.

ACTIVITY 2:
Explored the Global Incident Map, Terra Server, and National Atlas.
I found many maps and images that interested me. Especially relevant to current events I chose to post Texas Primary Results Map from Google Maps.





OPTIONAL BONUS ACTIVITY: I also took a look at the EarthNow Landsat Image Viewer. I flew over Canada, the north western tip of Washington and Oregon then out into the Pacific ocean.

1 comment:

secret asian girl said...

Interesting that you list Drive Like a Madman (or woman) AND find a Brewery... Also, regarding your "hypothetical question," this fellow blogger wonders WHO you could possibly be referring to...???? Inquiring minds want to know.